Tuesday, September 26, 2006

And Now For Something Different






OK the Mad Zionist tagged me. I’m it!!!!!!!

For the most part, I look down on chain letters very severely. The idea that someone would send a letter to another person and suggest that they will have bad luck if they don’t pass it on - pisses me off.

Now MZ gave me this cyber chain letter without the threat of bad luck for non-compliance. So I’m not getting bent out of shape, just pointing out the historical significance of this post. It is a welcome break from all the political diatribes that I have occupied my time with.

Without further adieu, Ladies and Gentleman I present to you my very first chain letter. (Now if only MZ can make just one post without calling the Palestinians “vermin”…Oy Vey!!!)

1. The last movie you saw in a theatre.

Constantine

I used to be a big fan of the comic book and I had mixed feelings about the movie. Its true that purists can never be satisfied, but give me a break. Valley boy, Keanu Reeves, was tapped to play John Constantine, who in the comic is a chain-smoking Englishman. Another disappointment was the casting of his rugged bestfriend (Chaz) as a bratty kid.

However, the special effects and twist-and-turns of the plot made up for all of the Hollywoodification. It was pleasing to see that the writers cleverly combined several story lines into one movie. If they had made Constantine as dark as the comic book portrays him, it would have made my list of all-time favorite movies. The Hollywood formula didn’t allow the story to explore the many faults and vices of the character.


  • Current-release that you want to see.

    The Black Dahlia sounds good, so does The Last King of Scotland. It’s a toss up between the two. If I couldn’t make up my mind then I might choose Flyboys instead, but this movie is not a first choice by any means.

2. The last movie you rented/purchased for home viewing.

The Legend of 1900

If the publicity for this film didn’t use so much fluffy language to proclaim it as such an epic story, I wouldn’t have held it to the high standards that prevented me from enjoying it as much as I should have. Still it was a great movie. The plot revolved around a kid that was born and raised on an ocean liner. Throughout the movie he struggles with the idea of leaving the only home he has ever known. His sharp wit enables him to make his neurosis sound almost rational. Overall the movie succeeds in dishing out some profound moments and triumphant revelry, but it is not the fairy tale that it’s advertising suggests. In many ways that’s actually not a bad thing.

3. A movie that made you laugh out loud.

I’d have to agree with MZ. Team America: World Police really mocked the hell out of the terrorist sympathizing Left.

4. A movie that made you cry.

Schindler’s List

The movie is a reminder that it’s never too late for redemption. Yet Schindler was never able to live with himself after his experiences. This is such a sad and at the same time inspiring story.

5. A movie that was a darling of the critics, but you didn't think lived up to the hype.

6. A movie that you thought was better than the critics.

I really can’t answer these questions. As a kid in the 70s I was perplexed as to why Rex Reed was a talent judge on the Gong Show. After all, everyone has opinions about movies and most of the people I knew were better critics than the “professionals”. As far as I was concerned Rex Reed was a talent-less huckster that had no right to be famous. I pay movie critics no mind.

7. Favorite animated movie.

Even though I can’t remember much of the film, I would have to say The Lady and the Tramp. I raved about it for weeks after seeing the movie. Sometimes I miss being a kid, it’s a good thing I never really grew up.

8. Favorite Disney Villain.

Michael Eisner

9. Favorite movie musical.

Reefer Madness – The Movie Musical

This movie is a moonbat’s delight. It is a roast of the anti-Marijuana propaganda film, Reefer Madness, which was made in the 30’s to help win the public’s support to make the drug illegal. Nooooo, I am not a pothead, but I am a complete non-conformist (I actually believe that it is conformist to hate Bush!!!). Lets face it alcohol is much worse than marijuana, so the hysteria and misinformation of the 30s was ripe for satire. The film really captures the silly conformity of the era.

10. Favorite movies of all-time (up to five).

This list will always change even if the world stopped making movies. After seeing a movie for the first time I don’t enjoy it anywhere near as much the next time I watch it. The illusion that the story is actually happening in real life wears out if I know what is going to happen next. So I get bored of movies after viewing them more than once.

1. The Lion in the Winter

2. The Pianist

3. Kundun

4. The Madness of King George

5. The Professional

11. Now tag 5 potential victims.

This chain letter dies here. Check out my choices:

1. Rosie O’Donnell

2. William Shatner

3. Anna Kournikova

4. Neil Gaiman (Comic Book author, the Sandman)

5. Jeff Bridges